Thursday 15 December 2016

Ranger Fall Camp 2016: Tobermory

Hey there! Long time, no see! Life's been crazy this summer and fall and I've only gotten around to this video right before Christmas break! Regardless, here it is, the Fall Camp Video! Lots of stuff happened and I had lots of fun to let's get right to the adventure, shall we?

Let's start at the beginning! I had to drive to other girls, a second year named Hannah B. and a first year named Lillian. We were camping in Tobermory, which is a 3-hour drive, so I really got to know Lillian as she's new. We stopped for fast food and we were the second to last party to arrive at camp. We didn't have any trouble getting to Bruce Peninsula National Park, we struggled to find our camp site. We were camping on Group Site One but we didn't realize that they had their own area, away from the individual sites. We went into the "Cedar" area, which is without sign and light. It was also one way and almost completely empty as we went up in Tobermory's offseason. We finally found our way out however and made it to camp safe and sound... at 10 o'clock at night! The campsite was set up with five tents, four girls and one for leaders. Third years had our own tent and we crashed pretty quickly.

The next day was hiking day. We planned to hike part of the Bruce Trail. We made breakfast, which was a bit of a flop, as the eggs didn't cook correctly, but we were on our way after prepping lunch (ramen, sandwiches, and GOBSS). You might say, "Hannah, what is GOBSS?" It stands for Good Ol' Bed Sheet Snacks. You just bring your favourite trail mix-like snack, throw it onto a bed sheet (clean of course!) and shake until well mixed. It's gross and delicious at the same.

On our hike, we enrolled our first years! Emily, Olivia and I (the third years) all got enroled on the  Bruce Trail when we were first years and they thought it was pretty cool so we enroled them on there as well. They got to pick the spot and everything. The hike was so beautiful, I wish I could've gotten enroled again! We had so much fun, we even built a little inukshuk.

Now this is where things sort of went downhill... Whilst chasing a first year named Jaime to get a photo of her enrolment at "The Grotto" (it's cool, if you're in Tobermory, check it out!) I fell and hit my knee, hard. I thought I'd broken it at first as I couldn't feel my foot or move it. There was a paramedic there that was just hiking who stopped to help and after I took by boot off, I could fell and move my foot a little but my knee was really swollen. I had to get the unit to help me hop off the cliff face and a Park Ranger drove me back to our site. Luckily my knee wasn't broken or sprained, just really, really, really bruised.This event sadly leads to an early conclusion to our hike.

However, the festivities were far from over! Emily planned a Murder Mystery Night that was a ton of fun. We all played different characters as we worked to find out who killed a rich old lady!

All in all, it was a really fun camp and I can't wait for winter camp!

To watch my video, follow this link: https://youtu.be/AzKMVWZ_DSI

No comments:

Post a Comment