Monday 8 August 2016

Ranger Game Night

Why hello there everyone! "Hannah!" You may say, "what was with that 6-month disappearing act there?" My response would be... oops? Really sorry about that but I got busy with work and school and blah, blah, blah, I ended up forgetting about this blog. So my most sincere apologies but I'm back.
I filmed this video way back in like the spring but I only was able to edit recently, so here it is! I thought I would introduce you guys to my Ranger unit  and what better night than on Game Night? We were all in our PJs and being our silly selves. Game nights like this are awesome because they are super laid back and self-directed, which is perfect for my unit. The programming for nights like is pretty simple. Just get everyone to wear their pyjamas (or sweats if they prefer it) and bring 1-2 board games.  Snacks are optional but highly recommended. Then just go for it, try a game and if it flops, move onto a new one. That's it. So to make this post longer than two paragraphs I'll give you some of my top picks for board game night!

Jungle Speed
This one is by far the Rangers' choice. We've played this game at tons of camps and meetings and it's definitely a favourite. It is a pretty basic game to look at but it's really fast paced game. The deck of cards it full of symbols, some match exactly why some only look similar. The deck is divided amongst the players and you go in a circle, each taking turns flipping cards face up to the circle. If your card is an exact match to someone else's you both grab for the totem in the middle of the circle/table. Whoever gets it first gives their pile of flipped over cards to the other player. The goal of the game is the get rid of all your cards. We get really competitive playing this game and really dive for the totem, some of us have even gotten scratched or wrestled for it! I really recommend this game to anyone, it's loads of fun and a really small portable and simple game.

Apples to Apples or any equivalent
It's a funny game and it's sort of like the PG version of Cards Against Humanity, with the same concept of matching one type of card to another and a judge picking their favourite. This game is also awesome because you can customise the length of it.If you don't have a lot of time, winner it the first to get to three. If you have all day, first to seven or ten. Lots of fun and pretty funny as well.

Any Card Game (Emphasis on President, Cheat and Spoons)
I feel like card games are vastly overlooked. They're really portable, great for flights, bus rides, hotel rooms, tents and more. We always have a deck with us at camp and because of this we've acquired quite a bit of knowledge in the world of card games. President is a little more complicated than some so I wouldn't recommend for anyone who isn't that familiar with card games (heck, I'm not even totally sure how to play it...) but it's really fun in groups. Cheat is also fun because you can totally annoy your friend by picking on them when you know they don't have any fours. Spoons is also a favourite amongst the Rangers, probably due to it's similarity to Jungle Speed. Other good games consist of old fashion Go Fish and War. Super versatile, totally recommend.

I hope that this list was helpful! Once again, I'm sorry about up and disappearing and I hope to become more frequent as September starts. If you haven't seen my video, you can watch it HERE. Thanks for reading and see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment