Friday 12 December 2014

Working with Little Guides

For those that don't know, I volunteer as a junior leader for a Brownie unit. They call me Blueberry and I'm the littlest leader. Going back to working with the little kids has made me come to realise that they don't like to sit still still, or stand still. They also like to be loud, very, very loud. So I've come up with my top three ways to get a spark or brownies attention.

The 30-Second Rule
This one was actually invented by the head brownie leader. This one is pretty easy. If the girls don't stop talking, then there is silence for 30 seconds. If they break the silence the time starts over. You can lengthen or shorten as seen fit. Great idea and really effective for Sparks.

The Quiet Game
Many of you probably already know what this is so I won't go into a long explanation. Basically, you tell the girls if they stay quiet throughout the event, then the girls get a set amount of free time, or a game/song of their choice. You can also have "Quietest Girl" Awards for the girl that was the best behaved during the meeting.

The Song
This one only works with some girls but is still a good idea. You teach the girls a little jingle or clap rhythm or whistle (if they can whistle) and when ever they girls are too loud just begin the jingle/claps/whistle and all the girls have to join in. When you finish the jingle then all the girls will be quiet since they were focused on following along. This one is lots of fun I think because it's signing and what Brownie/Spark doesn't like signing? Like I said, it only works on some kids but still a fun alternative to the "Brownies!" yell throughout the meeting area.

Hope these were helpful! I'll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment