Thursday 27 November 2014

The Top 5 Things You Have to Bring to Camp

I'm going to go on a sleepover with my brownies soon and I've started thinking about all things that are essential to bring to a camp. There are the obvious PJs, toothbrush and underwear, but what about some other things that are easy to forget. Here are the top five things you have to bring to camp.


1. Extra Batteries for Everything
If it uses batteries, bring extra. I've been to many camps and the times I forgot to pack batteries, the
flashlight died. We missed out on flashlight tag or had to make a very scary journey to the outhouse at 3 AM. Not  fun experience. Batteries are small and will fit into any little slot, so bring lots of them.

2. Flipflops
This applies more to summer camps. When you are playing in the sand on a warm day at summer camp it's easy to forget about the trek back to your tent afterwards. Then when you do you have two options: stuff your sandy and/or wet feet back into your sneakers or go back barefoot. Neither of which sound necessarily appealing to me. Flipflops eliminate both of these problems. They are also good for public showers if they are available.  I've heard a few horror stories of girls going barefoot in the shower and getting Athlete's Foot or warts. Save your feet, bring flipflops.

3. Extra Socks
I went camping in Tobermory this past October and it was freezing. It dropped to below -5 degrees one night and we were icicles in sleeping bags. To keep our feet warm we put all our socks on at once. It was a lifesaver because we were so cold that night. Socks are also great to bring on long hikes. I did a 34km hike about two years back and I remember being at the last checkpoint with only 4.5km left and changing my socks may have been the secret to finishing that hike. Socks can also be great for packing fragile objects; pack them around the breakable object to prevent shattering.

4. A Tarp
The tarp is one of the most versatile piece of camping equipment. It can make a makeshift tent, cover luggage that won't fit in the shelter or protect a fire if rain starts to fall. I've used one to cover a food shelter with a leaky roof. You can get a creative as you want.

5. Pads
I don't know if I'm cursed but every single time I go camping, a girl gets her period. I've saved many of my friends by having extra. Even if it isn't that time of the month, bring one in case a girl gets a little surprise on your trip. You may just be a girl's savior. This applies to leaders as well. The pad can also be first aid supplies. Due to their high absorbency they can be used in case of a large cut.

Hopefully this list was helpful and that you guys will remember these five important items next time you go camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment